11-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #18
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
I think it's misleading for non-enthusiasts. A DCT is a manual transmission (clutch vs torque converter) that uses electronic controls to mimic the convenience of an automatic. It doesn't need to "mimic the performance of a manual" because DCT boxes and modern automatics can shift faster than someone can in a traditional manual trans. Buying a manual today is about the experience, not the performance.
I'd call a DCT an automatic. It shifts for you. It uses a clutch, two of them, but it does the job for you.

I'd also say performance fits, the definition of performance is more about what something does or how it works. Let's rephrase that part to say the DCT mimics the operation of a manual. Performance and operation are interchangeable words. Performance need not be faster or slower or better or worse. You're adding your own definition of what performance means, that they are implying better performance. There's also poor performance. But they didn't say that either.

I'm halfway just messing with you. But I do think you're a little concerned about something that isn't actually incorrect.
Appreciate 0