Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
+1 To everybody.

I think this is a very 'gray area' topic. I think deep down we'd like to help the person, but at the same time we're wondering if its another person just wanting to go buy liquor. I've been approached at gas stations many times, but most of the time people are just asking for money, not gas money.

The thing is, here in Nashville, we have the Nashville Rescue Mission which is a safe haven for the homeless to have free food and shelter whenever they want it. Its really hard for me to have compassion for these kinds of people downtown when I know (and they know too) that they're there by choice, not because of some horrible thing that happened to them. If they really needed food as bad as they say they do, they can just go around the corner to the rescue mission and get as much as they want for free.

The circumstance varies from person to person though. You never know what someone has been through; if they're really struggling for money, or if they're just lying to you so they can buy liquor. I guess that brings us right back to square 1- It's a gray area subject.