Thread: Gap Insurance
View Single Post
      08-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you buy a new car and write it off in the first year chances are you will get a new replacement car. In that scenario GAP is no use, but for all other scenario's, especially if the car will devalue a lot it is worth it. I got it for my car. Around £200 for 5 years, which was a lot lower than what BMW wanted. Dealerships make a good mark up on all the different types of insurance they try to sell you. It hacked me off when I bought my car. I went in to buy a car and all they wanted to sell me was insurance. Trying to get info on the car was like getting blood out of a stone, it was all about insurance. BMW car insurance is also over priced. It's no better, just more expensive.

The only potential concern on GAP is that I have heard some insurances companies are starting to offer a like for like car rather than a pay out. They state they are doing it to over come disagreements on the car value, but no doubt the replacement car is purchased at a lower cost than the pay out. If the insurance company offered you a like for like replacement GAP would not come into play and I don't know if you can refuse the replacement car.

Hope you enjoy the 640d. I had a burn out with one a couple of weeks ago and it was fast.
Appreciate 0