02-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #460
Wozich
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 GO1 X3 30d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeg440i View Post
As others have said, BMW really screwed the pooch on this one; yeah the looks aren't amazing (from what we can tell), & yeah, it does seem like a tiny car in today's standards, but if this car had a 6MT and/or RWD and/or an Inline 6, I could guarantee it would totally blow the S3 & CLA 45 our of the water.

In a time where cars are endlessly getting bigger & more disconnected, this could have been BMW's final farewell to the driving experience which made them so famous. I know for a FACT that if it even had one of either RWD, Inline 6, or a 6MT, it would be enough to incentivize buying a 2GC for a lot of people (including me!), & it could have sold very, very well. Simply not enough differentiation between the 2GC & the 1 series as someone else mentioned.

This car could've been the perfect little pit bull, but you do you BMW!
Completely agree. But most of 2GC will be sold in Europe as 216i/d, 218i/d and 220i/d. Same case with the Mercedes CLA. Those buyers don't care about RWD... or performance

I'm curious what will the RWD 2er Coupe end up like. Maybe with expanding the lineup with the 2GC and 1er Sedan, BMW can make the 2er Coupe an even better car for the enthusiasts. Keep in mind the next 2er Coupe has an internal name "Drift Machine". Maybe there is some hope left. But probably not in a 4-door shape.
Appreciate 1