05-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
It's mined/recovered by 5 countries but those just happen to be the major ones. Nobody else is doing it because there's not enough demand. Basically there is a ton of lithium out there. The world has a very plentiful supply.

Yes; an electric motor is more efficient so you could argue that it doesn't matter if power plants are creating the electricity. But it really is the full cycle that concerns me. We seem to be completely unconcerned about what exactly we will do with the mountains of useless expended batteries. Some people seem to think we can recycle them; those people weren't paying attention in high school chemistry.

The fuss about GHGs can be largely mitigated quickly from a switch off coal power production to natural gas, solar, and nuclear. Right away that would take global emissions way down.

As for the i3. Horrendous.
Are you saying that the batteries cannot be recycled? There is just a small amount of Lithium but there are other metals more valuable that factor into the recycling of the Li-ion batteries. It's an economic problem not chemistry, were you paying attention?

Last edited by Zippster; 05-07-2017 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0