05-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Also, if I'm not mistaken, Lithium is only mined in 5 countries and will probably be in short supply (sooner than oil?)...then there's the eventual disposal of the batteries etc...I might consider Hydrogen some day...?
It's mined/recovered by 5 countries but those just happen to be the major ones. Nobody else is doing it because there's not enough demand. Basically there is a ton of lithium out there. The world has a very plentiful supply.

Yes; an electric motor is more efficient so you could argue that it doesn't matter if power plants are creating the electricity. But it really is the full cycle that concerns me. We seem to be completely unconcerned about what exactly we will do with the mountains of useless expended batteries. Some people seem to think we can recycle them; those people weren't paying attention in high school chemistry.

The fuss about GHGs can be largely mitigated quickly from a switch off coal power production to natural gas, solar, and nuclear. Right away that would take global emissions way down.

As for the i3. Horrendous.
geogerf115.50