03-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
S55 disappointment after test drive with an M3

So I went to the dealer this afternoon to discuss a M2C. Worked out the numbers for everything and I was satisfied with how everything had gone so far. Knowing it wasn’t the N55 anymore and I have never drove the S55, I wanted to do a test drive. Luckily, there was a used ‘18 m3 on the lot for me to see how the engine responded. I couldn’t believe how disappointed with it I would be. I made sure it was up to operating temp first and did a red light launch, as well as 3-4 other launches in front of the dealer before going back and some rolling pulls. All left me disappointed, thoroughly disappointed. I expected performance similar to my m240ix (not launches, but rolling pulls for sure). None of it was close.

Coming from a ‘17 m240ix with jb4, CAI, sport cat DP and Remus exhaust, I know my hp and ya are already higher than the m3, but not by much I feel. To me, it was more of the power delivery of the S55 that left me deterred. From a lunch, held the brake and gas gas up to 2k, jumped off the brake and floored the gas and the rpm dropped to 1k, slowly moved forward like it was just being pushed from behind, and 1-2 seconds later the power kicked in and just broke the tires loose. Once it did grab traction, it felt no different than my 2 series does stock (I know because I did a pull after the dealership without my jb4 and CAI on the car this evening). From a roll, it felt a tad stronger than my car, except above 5.5k where the b58 falls off (again, without the jb4 and CAI).

Is this behavior due to the s55 tuning where the torque is detuned down low? For those of you with an m3/4, did a DP and flash fix this issue? I know these can make stupid power, but the factory delivery is garbage I feel unless moving and keeping it high in the rpms. Traction will always be an issue unless putting better tires on, I know, but from a roll I’d expect better power delivery.

For the test drive: ‘18 m3 with dct and 3200 miles. Did a stop, brake and gas to 2k and then dump brake and full gas. Also did a full off brake and just mashed the gas which seemed to be a little better with the delivery (yes tires spun, but it was how soon tires spun and engine revved that was better than brake/gas first tried). From a roll I was doing 15 floored to 80. Felt good up high, but until it hit 3-4K it wasn’t amazing. I’d like for it to just go when I hit the gas like the B58 does.

Looking for some serious feedback because right now I might look towards a v8 or the q60rs or something like that. I love my m240ix, but looking for more power and uniqueness (already few 2series here in the pan handle, but even fewer m2 here as well).

If there’s anyone in the fwb/Pensacola area on the forums with an m3/4 or m2c that wouldn’t mind taking me for a quick ride, I’d really be interested to see what another s55 can do. Thinking the m3 I test drive might have been the problem (some kind of issue with it?)

Last edited by Joe240; 03-09-2019 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0