07-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #21
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt
I am sold on the Pennzoil from nat-gas as a cleaner oil. Very interesting that on the Pennzoil Web site they recommend Euro 5W-40 which does have a pour point of -42. Where BMW does say that a 5-40 CAN BE USED -- THE MOST COMMON oil used at a dealership for the N55 is 0W-30.
I am going with Pennzoil EURO 5W-40 LL-01 oil very 5k OCI. Having been a prior owner of the N54 engine -- and reading the latest from Mike Miller who recommends 5k OCI for the N54/N55.
I would think the M2 with an N55 variant would be best served with the EURO 5W-40 in warranty and possibly even Redline 5W-30 post warranty due to RL is a heavy 30wt almost near 40wt but as a full ester which handles the heat & really superior oil for the turbo.
As I said before BMW weighs a lot of things when they go with oil including using one oil worldwide and fuel mileage requirements. They figure for most people if you sacrifice a little less protection for the mileage it's worth it but those that want a little more protection especially in warm climates can go 40 weight. After studying direct injection motors a little more I have decided to go with Pennzoil 5w-40 platinum euro in my 1M. DI motors inject fuel directly into the cylinder so some fuel is sprayed in the cylinder walls and makes it into the oil. That's why they use synth ti and special additives to keep it from thinning. 40 gives a little extra protection in my opinion. As to 0 weight I also worry about such thin oil even if only during low temps. These motors leak all the time when they get older and I wonder if thinner oil will help makes leaks a little bigger as well as possible blow by and as consumer reports extra oil passing through valve guides and rings. Not ready to gamble my pride and joy with Jack of all trades oil.
Appreciate 2
Chuck W.356.00
123Britt289.00