07-16-2016, 02:00 AM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
Oil debates are always entertaining. I have simply followed the oil life monitor on my 06 330i and it runs great and consumes no oil at 212,000 miles. The caveat is I drive 25,000 plus miles a year so oil gets changed every 6 months and I drive almost 100% highway miles. I do change my transmission fluid and filter every 70,000 miles or so because I can't buy the idea of a lifetime fluid. For what it's worth I believe that with the higher oil capacity and the use of a high quality synthetic we are fine going with the manufacturers recommendations, that is unless you have a reason not too like track days, your more comfortable doing shorter intervals etc. No one but you will pay for the cost of the oil change or consequences from not changing it so I don't really understand the debates and the emotions that come with them.
Sorry you can't understand them. It is comforting that you have had luck with your 330i but if you read the concern that some have is with 0 weight oil. Your point about trusting the manufacturer is also well taken but for some of us that are car geeks and eat, sleep and drink this stuff there are some pretty significant differences. You car went 212k miles on I assume the recommended 5w-30 oil and is not a turbocharged or direct injection motor. So your point is valid but there are some significant differences between an NA motor and the M2 / 1M direct injected turbo motors which is what we were discussing.
Appreciate 0