06-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps
I'm really concerned about the 0w most of the manufactures are going with these days and the motives for spec'ing it. I've got a buddy that has 2 late model cars by Subaru and Honda which have developed ring issues and excessive oil consumption at they approached 100,000 miles. He's got a 2014 Outback that uses 1 Qt every other tank. It sounds like lot of manufactures are dealing with these days if you google oil consumption and various terms.

When I researched the issue, a lot of people suspected the thinner oil could be a cause as some of the engines used 5w or 10w in other countries or in the past.

Really made me wonder if the new EPA Regulations are causing premature engine failures. Or if the manufactures are sacrificing long term reliability for increased MPG ratings.

I don't know enough to form a good opinion on this, but it's something that should be considered for anyone owning one of these long term off warranty.

Is 0w really in our best interest?
I understand your skepticism and concern which is why I also mentioned that 5w-40 is available under the Pennzoil platinum Euro label and it is the same oil, different weight according to the person at ShelI that I spoke with. I also wondered about that because 1M came with 5w-30 and 5w-40 seems a little more appealing because the cold viscosity remains the same. I will probably go with the 0W-40 because I want the dealer to do it and that is the only 40W they carry that is approved but if they offered both 0 and 5 options I would take 5w40 especially where I live in sunny and warm San Diego.
Appreciate 1