View Single Post
      03-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Carenthusiast.com took no prisoners in their scathing review of this car's design. I agree with them. A truly awful looking car.

"Looks, in any aspect of life, are subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; one man's meat is another man's poison; to each their own; there's no accounting for taste; and so on. The appearance of this new BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe, therefore, is no exception to the vagaries of humankind and their qualities of aesthetic appreciation, and so we are well aware there will be plenty of people in the world looking at this car and thoroughly appreciating its distinctive lines. And good on them, too.

Not us, though. Dear lord, not us. In fact, we think this is the ugliest car BMW has ever put on sale. We have now spent a long time walking around the 2 Series Gran Coupe, standing up, crouching down, viewing it from dead-on front, appraising it from the rear three-quarters, loitering at the side of it, squinting at it, sucking air over our teeth, shaking our head forlornly... and it doesn't matter what we do nor where we stand, it's just dire in every aspect.

Particular bugbears of this dreadful design are: way too much metal above the wheel arches, which is especially noticeable at the front of the car when viewed in profile; front-end details which are oversized and outlandish compared to the wings sitting behind and to either side of them; the back of the Gran Coupe, which is busy beyond belief with so many contrasting details, none of which seem happy to co-exist with each other; the strangely stunted and high look of the roof, as the designers tried (in vain) to cram a swooping GC lid onto a car that's only 4.5 metres long and with a wheelbase of less than 2.7 metres; and then the misshapen, sheer chunkiness of it all. This is never better in evidence than when you realise that this flagship M235i xDrive model rolls on at least 18-inch alloys, which look like castors in those rear arches, such is the vast expanse of metal in that gargantuan rear flank. BMW's product line-up is hardly the prettiest portfolio on sale today, but to try and fathom how this car is related in any way, shape or form to the current 8 Series makes your head spin in sickening confusion. About the most savage indictment we can fling the way of the 2 GC is that it somehow, incomprehensibly, manages to make the X6 Mk3 look almost well-judged and proportional. Astonishing....."
tetsuo1111224.00
alphawawa190.00