sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

What's so scary about red or terra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentacle9 View Post
Hi all, I have been looking at buying a 1coupe for a couple of months now and my spec choices have gotten longer and longer as time goes on until I am now pretty clear on what I want toy wise on a 123D Msport ...but I am going round and round in circles with the colour combination - just can't decide! really like AW but think black leather is a bit boring, yet the red and terra are scary. Would look good with Silver IMO...sort of retro, but i don't fancy Silver. Currently thinking I'll go for SG with Lemon leather and the standard Msport wheels (17"ers) - the 261s look nice but the roads around me are awful and I am tired of getting bounced around (I have 18"ers on my E46). Actually think the smaller wheels look good on with the darker paint job....The AW looks so good though...maybe just bite the bullet and have AW with black leather and the bigger wheels .....could I actually have AW with Lemon? Would that look terrible?

I am amazed at how obsessed I am with getting this right! Have literally been spending hrs each day on this discision! need to get the decision made so I can move on! Has anybody else found this as difficult? I have never bought a brand new car before and I'm finding it really difficult to make the decision based on photos of US cars (1ers seem to be a lot more popular over there) and my imagination! If anyone has any pictures of a 123D Msport in SG with lemon, shadowline trim and 17" wheels that would be a big help...failing that I'll just get a blue one, no maybe black! Aaaaaaaaah!
Brown is always the most classic color for leather because it's the most "natural" color for animal hide. You simply can't go wrong with it. Looks great with LeMans Blue, Sapphire Black, Sedona Red and, of course, AW. A very safe, very classy choice. Lots of classic British sports cars with brown leather out there.

Coral red is trickier. You really have to go with a neutral, but silver and red is very Alfa-Romeo-ish. Says Italian car, not German. It's gorgeous with black and also fantastic with space gray, since a bit of color on the inside makes a nice luxurious counterpoint with the functional, muted gray exterior. And there is a lot of black in the interior, so the red is not overpowering.

I would not have picked coral red, but my sales guy had me sit in a black M3 with a coral red interior and that was it. No doubt. I was on the Mother Ship. I asked a friend if maybe I'd get tired of it and she looked me straight in the eye and said, "No. I think that every time you walk up to that car and see the red leather you are going to smile."

She was right. But red isn't for everyone. Just don't go with black or beautiful but hard-to-keep-clean lemon because you think brown is scary. It's not. It's a timeless classic.
Appreciate 0