View Single Post
      09-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Oil Temperature - Interesting Observation

My M4 has 1,400 miles and the running-in service was completed about two weeks ago at just about 1,200 miles. Since owning the car, the oil temp stabilizes at an operating temperature of around 220F (per the gauge). Basically, the needle is at the hash mark just before the 250F number and the has marks appear to be 30 degree F increments. This is where the needle would stabilize, regardless of ambient, when under cruise/normal driving.

This sounds crazy, I realize, but after the running-in service, the car is stabilizing at around 205F or thereabouts (see attached photo). It's significantly lower oil temp once at operating temperature - I was driving the car for 40 mins on the highway just before snapping this photo.

Another crazy idea, but possible. Maybe BMW runs the engine hotter during break-in, for efficiency reasons, and after 1,200 miles the ECU is reset to run at normal operating temp? Given the thermostat and cooling system is heavily electronic and software-controlled, it's definitely something BMW could do, but I sorta doubt it.

What are you guys seeing for temps, once completely warmed-up, under normal driving conditions? Both before the 1,200 mile running-in service and after. Post photos if you can!
Appreciate 1