04-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by warden View Post
What in the sentiment expressed in the post of mine you quoted suggests that I went with the CF roof? Or did so to save a couple hundred pounds? Doesn't it in fact point in just the opposite direction? And, in any event, isn't the CF roof question fundamentally different than the HUD question here? HUD is not weight at the heighest point of the car.

Anyhow, the M3 and F10 are totally different cars; apples and oranges. That was my point. Sure, the e92 M3 is certainly a heavy car in it's own right, but it's no 5-series. No CF here.
If it wasn't obvious, let me spell it out. Many E9x M3 drivers (maybe not you) brag about how the carbon fiber roof is so much nicer and aids handling of the car because of the weight saving. This is all true. The same drivers, however, load up their M3s with unnecessary options to offset the weight saving many times over. Additionally, I've seen some that complain BMW doesn't offer enough weight-inducing options on the M3.

My point here is that many claim they can't tell 200lb difference (and they should), yet those exact same folks go gaga over anything that resembles carbon fiber in the name of saving weight (e.g. carbon fiber side mirrors). There's a bit of hypocrisy.

I agree that the 5er is a different animal than the M3. However, the 5er is still "supposed" to be a sports sedan worthy of Nurburgring. I don't want to sound a snob, but the BMW customer base has definitely been diluted to those seeking luxo-sedans with hints of sporty characteristics.
Appreciate 0