Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane. View Post
As above just want to warn everyone.

I got in the car this morning and put my phone on my drivers seat, i was driving along on a straight road at 40mph and my phone made a noise to alert me i had a message i glanced across at my screen at this point i picked it up and placed it in my drivers side pocket at no point did i unlock the phone, or attempted to reply to the message etc. Then from out of the trees a police bike appeared and waved me down. I pulled over and he explained why he had pulled me over and said it doesn't matter if you had been using the phone or not you moved it and by holding it your committing an offence. I wasn't going to start arguing with the officer as i don't think it will achieve anything. what i did was its no different to moving anything in the car, or adjusting my heating etc.

I have been reported for the offence and told i will be getting 3 penalty points and a £100 fine. From now on i plan to put my phone in my glovebox.
Interesting. What exactly is the offence there. Is making physical contact with a phone an offence? What about a drinks bottle?

The point I'm making is this seems to apply that you can touch anything in your car except your phone, regardless of whether it is on or off?
Appreciate 0