03-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
pepper1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I faced the same decision.

Before my E92 M3 ZCP DCT, I had a 2012 335is. My original plan was to keep the 335is for two years then buy the new M4 coupe. When I learned that the M4 was to have an I-6 with multiple turbo chargers, I changed my mind - I had an I-6 with multiple turbo chargers and I really disliked its throttle response - even after adding Dinan software to improve the car's power curve.

The explosive nature of the the way the power came on line made it difficult to accurately dial the back-end out. The turbo-lag, as minimal as it was, still meant that, when cornering, I had to push the accelerator down before I actually needed the power and guess how much I needed.

I don't think that the new M4 will somehow be different than all other high performance turbo motors, i.e. turbo lag (I had to count potatoes in my 335is and it was better than the E93 335i that I had before it), non-linear throttle response, cooling issues and limp mode, limited RPM due to turbos reaching their max RPM and wastegate failures (BMW lost a class action suit on that one).
I have a 2013 335is and appreciate the thoughts on throttle response. I have a Cobb tune but the turbo lag still is present. I have to allow for "two potatoes" before the power hits. I have other had other turbo cars but no delay compared to the 335is. Don't get me wrong, the car is great but should have went straight to an M3 instead.

I've looked for new M3's knowing that it would be a fruitless venture this late into it. Ones available are marked up quite a bit. Subsequently looked at used M3's with few miles.

Can be first and second in line for the M4 at area dealers as well as getting their launch M4 as they are not yet sold. The dealer I have bought three cars from is being difficult to work with as they will do ED for MSRP. So much for treating your loyal customers right.

All in all the combination of many factors is giving pause about BMW and those loyal to their brand and their long time customers. But they are a business and probably could give a rats ass in the end.
Appreciate 0