03-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
no reasonable person would doubt the performance increase over the outgoing model.

the only question is do you want to spend the money.

it is a much nicer car than my e9x and the performance will blow it away despite being more efficient. I sat in one in person at the Houston auto show.

sounds like you might need to do some more research on the f8x. it is barely longer than the outgoing car, and it is substantially lighter.

there is no "computer generated exhaust note". it is an amplification of the actual engine sounds. not a fake sound, or a pre-recorded sound.

On the topic of Porsches, I have owned a 997 and driven the 991, and the 991 is a much better car in basically every single way. It destroys it in performance, build quality, ride comfort and the steering feel is fantastic. Its an amazing chassis and car. I drove a 2S and it was worlds better than my 997tt. I don't know what you mean by "the car drives for you", but maybe you should get back into a 991 and re-check that hypothesis. It does whatever you want and still requires a hell of a driver to get the best out of it.

The e9x is far from a raw sports car, and the new m3 has more sports car oriented suspension and braking tech than the e9x does anyway. Direct solid mount subframe (no bushings, like a race car), bigger brake kit, much less weight, higher tech differential, stiffer suspension structure, new gen of adaptive "active" suspension (a la PASM).
Well said and I agree with your points, but there are a few additional factors for OP to consider.

If you are intending to modify your vehicle, it can be worthwhile to wait to buy a new model until sufficient aftermarket parts are developed, tested, and distributed throughout the market. Likely at least until the end of the year, and perhaps much longer, an E92 M3 has proven available performance modifications on the market which will allow it to exceed the performance of the factory F8X. When it is considered that many believe that new complexities in BMW's software will prevent meaningful tuning gains for quite some time, it may make sense to wait. This is only applicable to those who value performance highly, however.

There is also styling and options to think about. Unless you happen to particularly like one of the standard factory color options, you are very restricted in the selections for the F8X. When you add in the paucity of factory allocations available (approx. 1-2 per month per dealership), it will likely be a LONG time until Individual can offer any sort of meaningful customization for those who prefer a more bespoke option.

As shown by the E46 and E9X, the widespread approval and production of Individual builds tends to coalesce at the end of the production line. For that reason, you can find beautiful and pristine Individual colored E9X models, even those which were ordered and never sold, available on the market. While it is certainly not as rewarding as ordering your own, it could at least give you more options.

Additionally, there are other subsidiary issues to consider. For example, incandescent turn signal bulbs on a 2015 MY vehicle is an absolute disgrace. There will be a subsequent LCI refresh which will fix these issues and provide other improvements; based on the experience with the E46 and E9X, these improvements may be worth waiting for. (If present trends continue, this refresh will occur for MY 2018.)

Only you can decide what you value most. Personally, I just took delivery of my Individual E92 late last year, as one of the last orders placed from the factory. I absolutely love this car, and will be keeping it at least until the above-mentioned circumstances are present.