View Single Post
      03-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I think you are sensible to wait because the performance of the car is untested (except on paper) and , given all the new engineering installed, the reliability of the car is going to remain an open question for a while. Beyond that, is the premium price you're going to have to pay for it.
You would think this level of performance uncertainty would inspire caution among buyers; but, the exact opposite seems to be occurring. Customers are , evidently, standing in line willing to pay the MSRP or better demanded by the dealer. The market for this car appears to now be in an excited, almost frenzied, state and the prices reflect that.
no reasonable person would doubt the performance increase over the outgoing model.

the only question is do you want to spend the money.

it is a much nicer car than my e9x and the performance will blow it away despite being more efficient. I sat in one in person at the Houston auto show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper1 View Post
I agree that the frenzy is there. I'm taking a step back and looking at the computer generated exhaust note, questionable lack of driver interaction with all the electronics, bloated size and consider if I should get a good deal on a 2013 M3 either new or used.

It appears that BMW is going the way Porsche has, making their cars bigger, more lux-mobiles, to much electronics, less driver interaction all of which takes away the sportiness of the car the way it was meant to be in favor of having the car drive you instead of you driving the car.
sounds like you might need to do some more research on the f8x. it is barely longer than the outgoing car, and it is substantially lighter.

there is no "computer generated exhaust note". it is an amplification of the actual engine sounds. not a fake sound, or a pre-recorded sound.

On the topic of Porsches, I have owned a 997 and driven the 991, and the 991 is a much better car in basically every single way. It destroys it in performance, build quality, ride comfort and the steering feel is fantastic. Its an amazing chassis and car. I drove a 2S and it was worlds better than my 997tt. I don't know what you mean by "the car drives for you", but maybe you should get back into a 991 and re-check that hypothesis. It does whatever you want and still requires a hell of a driver to get the best out of it.

The e9x is far from a raw sports car, and the new m3 has more sports car oriented suspension and braking tech than the e9x does anyway. Direct solid mount subframe (no bushings, like a race car), bigger brake kit, much less weight, higher tech differential, stiffer suspension structure, new gen of adaptive "active" suspension (a la PASM).

Last edited by Black Gold; 03-05-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0