View Single Post
      12-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
jahwerx
Certified Purveyor of the High Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i Reply to Thread (4/6)

INSTALL
23. This next shot shows what the OEM lever looks like when its removed. There is no reason to remove the bearing from the lever. Take the OEM lever, bearing and circlip, and store them away! (Back when I was doing similar work on my old Honda, I had purchased this high-temp urea grease, which is a good application for the task at hand. I’m not endorsing OEM Honda grease )
24. Liberally, grease up the shift lever ball, bearing, and hole. Insert the bearing from the bottom of the lever, and snap it in place.
25. Align the bearing “ridges” (highlighted by the arrows) to the slots in the shift arm cup (see picture in step 22). Push straight down and it will “click in”. If you don’t have the ridge aligned with the slots, you will be able to pull the lever right back up. Test it out. It should be solidly secure at this step.
26. The shift lever can now slide onto the selector lever in one of two ways. The right way, and the wrong way. I’ll let the pictures do the talking.
27. Now, reverse what you did to insert the selector lever into the shift lever. There isn’t much space, but using the two screwdrivers, fish the selector lever into position, so its male end is lined up with the female end of the shift lever.
28. This time, with everything aligned, wedge the screwdriver between the Car frame and the selector lever and then “shift” the lever to the right to slide the parts together.
29. It should look like this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0