View Single Post
      05-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

H&R Sport spring review

The F30 has a way of being a bit of a let down out of the box in regards to steering(heft and feedback) and handling(body roll).

Here, we have a great stiff unibody @ 30% more rigidity over it's predecessor but it seems as if controls and feedback have a layer of cream making it hard to feel the benefit.

It started proper sticky non RFT Michelin PSS' mounted on 20% lighter wheels. Combined with the H&R springs, this should almost be a trifecta or complete option package.

To be honest, I did this mainly as an aesthetic mod, but I would say it's 70/30 as the 30 is actual performance benefit.

Steering:
Heft has definitely increased. I have not driven an E90 in a couple of months, but I feel like it's closer without it being annoyingly heavy.

Feedback is a notch better as well. It is not the return of hydraulic feedback, I feel that is impossible. But I feel an peelback in layers now, I get a bit more communication as to the road surface, more of what I love about the helm of my E36.

Handling:
More information is being transmitted and with a feel of less weight shift/weight transfer. This is felt in braking and even lower speed corners. There is definitely less body roll, certainly not an elimination, but I do not expect that in a 3 series.

Summary:
I feel like this is how the car would have felt if it was an E90+F30 offspring. We get the increased F30 dimensions and stiffness and only a smidge of softening. This can be taken further with a rear swaybar to truly tackle the body roll and struts/shocks to shift it even more from a sedan and more towards SPORTS sedan. I will wait for a rear bar and see if it is worth stopping there.

Here is a pic of the car FILTHY. The springs will settle and lower it a bit more in the front.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)

Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 05-20-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0