09-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionrace View Post
Do not run winter tires in the DMV year round period.
It barely snows there and to be honest, when it does you are usually snowed in. I would run the stock tired or if you really want to change them, some good all seasons.
I did not plan on running winter tires year round. My question was, is it better to get a set of excellent all-season tires or should I buy a set of winter tires just for the months of Nov-March. The only reason I ask is because I was informed the winter is very mild in that area, it gets cold yes, but only snowed like once last winter. I do not plan on running my stock summer performance tires during the winter months. My friend has a RWD Tesla in the area and he said he was fine with all-seasons last winter, so I guess he agrees with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post
Winter tires year round will suck the life out of your M2
I do not plan on running winter tires year round. I guess I was not clear in my original post. My main question was, is there an advantage of winter tires over the DWS06 for an area that experiences a mild winter. By mild I mean, the average lows in Dec/Jan are mid 30s and average highs are mid 40s, a lot of rain, hardly ever any snow. Through my research I've learned that winter tires aren't just for snow and that the rubber compound is softer for the colder weather, meaning anything below 45 degrees. So, do they perform better than the DWS 06 tires on a 40 degree weather rainy day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
To answer your question, though, winter tires have several disadvantages:
Mushy, squirmy handling
Reduced grip during warm weather
Reduced fuel economy, due to higher rolling resistance
Increased tire wear during good weather.
Winter tread patterns may also be a bit noisier (if not well designed)
You do not want to run winters during the summer.
Thank you for answering my question! I will certainly not be running winters during the summer, I will keep my summers on stock wheels and buy a new set of tires/wheels for the winter months.