View Single Post
      12-03-2015, 03:16 AM   #1
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
While the Fiesta-shaped dent is being removed from the rear of my F31 335i, I've got a Merc C-Class as a replacement. So, I thought I'd give a few observations:

- Engine. I've got the 2.0 4-cyl petrol. It's refined enough below 3k, but after that it doesn't sound nice - just a horrible drone. Not unlike American low-end cars from GM in the 1990s. It's not too powerful either. Very disappointing. From all accounts the 4-cyl diesel is worse. If you want anything that's got more than 4 cylinders, then you'll need to go to the 500bhp V8 AMG model with a base price of £60k! There's apparently a V6 planned, but not here yet. This must be a huge own goal for Merc - I can't see how this thing can be even nearly competitive with the F3x on the engine front.

- Gearbox. Nice enough, but the programming seems to hold gears too long. A nice touch though is showing the gear when in D mode - D1, D2 etc. Wish that BMWs did that.

- Steering. Horrible. Inconsistent weight (firmish straight ahead, but lightens up on tighter turns) - very odd-feeling and doesn't inspire confidence. Zero feedback. I thought the electric steering on the new BMWs was bad - but this is just woeful.

- Handling. The car's just got the std suspension. It's not great. Ride is fairly soft yet pot holes make a horrible thump (reminds me of my F11!). Very floaty and it has a habit of jumping sideways if you hit a pothole going around a corner. Push it too hard and it understeers. I guess it's just not setup to be a performance car, so maybe my comments aren't fair.

- Interior. Nicely executed and the quality definitely a step up in the F31. The styling isn't to my taste though - all that shiny black plastic is garish (which shows scratches VERY easily BTW) - but I accept it's a personal thing.

- Entertainment system. In a word - awful. Way too complicated and messy. And that sort of touchpad/mouse/handle thing in the middle is way too easy to press inadvertently when driving leaving the system in a menu or something when you don't want it there. BMW's system is streets ahead.

- Cabin refinement. Very good. Much, much better than the F31. This is something that BMW need to sort out on the replacement 3-series.

So, there it is. I know I whinge sometimes about the F31 (it ain't perfect), but I'd take it anytime over the C-class.

Last edited by pdk42; 12-03-2015 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13531.00