08-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #18
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by awns729 View Post
Do you happen to know what has changed? I found a 100 page thread that I want to avoid reading but not much more than that. The whole thing seems a bit confusing to me. I see a lot of talk about the G5 board upgrade, and then JB3 -> JB4 pinout changes, and the link to the pinout changes.

So it seems like I can have a JB3 or JB4 and can upgrade to a G5 ISO processor. And a JB3 to JB4 upgrade will require wiring harness changes possibly (but that thread has been taken down).

Yeah, I guess I have to open this up and take some photos (this is why i opted for the cobb in the first place lol) and then go from there. Just based on when the first JB4 post came out and my guess that the steering controls weren't available on the JB3, I'm thinking I have a JB4 but maybe not the G5. The G5s started shipping 12/1/12 and I bought my car in August of 2012, so its possible but I'm guessing less likely.
BMS had added a lot of options, features, and fail-safes. They have also improved the maps quite a bit. I hear that JB3 to JB4 is night and day, and that JB4 to JB4 G5 ISO is another huge leap forward. N54Tech is the forum you want to be on for JB4... tons of information over there.

If I were you, I'd follow the installation instructions to find which tuner you have. Then upgrade it (if need be), and run a USB cable to the cabin. That way you can hook up a computer and see what's going on, as well as update the software and firmware.

JB4 G5 ISO + backend flash =

It's honestly nuts. I've never had a car that responds so well to tuning alone. Follow this link, read it, read it again, browse around, and ask some questions.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0