Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I've tuned, tinkered and upgraded probably more to my car than 99% of this forum, but all done with old britool torque wrenches from the 60's and 70's (these don't even have a ratcheting head, however their designstyle does have some advantages).
Never felt the need for a digital one. The premium price they cost is better spent on more normal (and specialty) tools if such a decision were to occur.
I have worked with them and only in some situations they are maybe more ergonomic (and of course in professional production enviroments they offer logging of torque data for quality control etc). But when using them I'm mostly in fear of damaging the electronics. When tinkering usually my tools end up all togheter on a cart or table, including the toque wrenches. Not a good enviroment for the weak lcd displays.

Besides, on most parts of the car, the "properly torqued" parts is often more that bolts hold the same torque than extreme accuracy of that torque.
Do you ever find yourself setting each mechanical torque wrench to one verified torque, and then end up having a bunch of adjustable manual torque wrenches that're all set to their own single-torque settings? That's how I operated (guess I'm lazy), which led me to a digital one. I use exclusively manual, non-ratcheting (wrench-head) TRs on all of my electronics, I'll agree with you on that, along with the fear of smashing the LCD.

Last edited by Equilibrandt; 10-12-2021 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0