View Single Post
      10-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #35
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Though a few have mentioned torque wrenches, at some point it may be worth the upgrade to a digital torque wrench. One of the things you don't want to cheap out on is properly-torqued bolts and lugs.
I've tuned, tinkered and upgraded probably more to my car than 99% of this forum, but all done with old britool torque wrenches from the 60's and 70's (these don't even have a ratcheting head, however their designstyle does have some advantages).
Never felt the need for a digital one. The premium price they cost is better spent on more normal (and specialty) tools if such a decision were to occur.
I have worked with them and only in some situations they are maybe more ergonomic (and of course in professional production enviroments they offer logging of torque data for quality control etc). But when using them I'm mostly in fear of damaging the electronics. When tinkering usually my tools end up all togheter on a cart or table, including the toque wrenches. Not a good enviroment for the weak lcd displays.

Besides, on most parts of the car, the "properly torqued" parts is often more that bolts hold the same torque than extreme accuracy of that torque.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 10-12-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0