09-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #166
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
I bought my first BMW in 1995 (E36 325) because I was attracted to Porsches, and the then hot Mazda Rx7 Twin Turbo, but wanted four seats and a useable trunk. My purchase proved worthy on the street and the track where I progressed through DE events to become a track and skidpad instructor with my local chapter of the BMWCCA, harassing many in my student cohort over the years, including a 911 pilot. My 4 door E36 325, then my 4 door E36 M3, proved the perfect blend of track and DD utility. nimble and fast on the track and big enough to carry, but not travel, 4 passengers.

As my family has grown, my two kids fit in the back locally, though we travel in the family truckster (Honda Ody for now) for long trips. As they grow bigger, one of them can sit up front. The car is big enough without being too big, and it has the rear drive fun that makes it fun on the track and and on snowy winter days.

Why do we FAT americans need such large sedans that BMW can't do the math on a compact, 4 door RWD sedan? It used to be a very popular formula. Is it a function of our national obesity?

Actually.. I really think that in this case.. it's BMW that has tried to " design vehicles for fat Americans " rather than design vehicles that americans will purchase.

The decision to not produce a compact sedan at BMW is baffling to me.. and it is a decision that most other companies have proceeded to take away market share. What's most surprising is that the E30 M3 sedan and then the E36 M3 sedan literally DEFINED the euro compact sedan market through E46 guise. Then BMW came up with their own idea that everyone in America only wants a big sedan or SUV... and that hatchbacks, convertibles, and compact sedans aren't where they want to make any money. Since then..

Audi A3 has come in under the A4
Mercedes CLA has come in under the C class
Lexus IS has come under the ES
VW has placed the CC between the Jettta and Passat

while not really a competitor..... check out HONDA. They have enlarged the Accord and Civic... but also introduced Clarity sedan and the Honda Fit is their smallest model.

At the same time... BMW enlarged their 3 Series, 5 series and 7 series.. and ignored the fact that a 1 series sedan would have been great for the US. BMW stubbornly produced 1 series hatches in 3 and 5 door version for Euro markets.. but not the US.... late in the game providing a coupe only in deference to the US market.

Then.. BMW developed a 2 series replacement and STILL ignored what the competition was doing.. BMW AGAIN decided to produce a COUPE only for the 2 series.. while continuing to sell 1 series variants in 3 and 5 door guise in Europe only.. BMW lost the midsize European sales crown in the US that they have so coveted and protected....

BMW then decided that they could ONLY market a compact sedan in Asian markets... apparently because people are smaller there?

Finally.. while competitors have SNATCHED market share like a fat kid eating cake. BMW has finally realized... Hey.. we could be selling a 2 series sedan...

So... it seems to me that nearly every premium manufacturer has a lineup of compact, midsize and full size sedans EXCEPT BMW.. ( add Volvo and infiniti to this list.. but they don't make small cars ANYWHERE).

As far as I am concerned.. there is little blame on fat americans.. and a lot of blame to be placed at the feet of BMW AG and NA.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-29-2017 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111224.00
maxnix205.00