10-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
m80theWolf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Most Accurate Dyno? Lack of low RPM power

I'm going to put my 335d on the dyno for two reasons:

1st - as a diagnostic tool. I always read about our cars' "face-flattening torque" off the line, and I don't really get that sensation. My car doesn't feel fast until about 2300-2500 RPM and then runs out of puff around 4500 RPM. In fact, I have a hard time breaking the tires loose from a dig with TC off - mid turn no problem going sideways, but I'm at higher RPM's by then. I'm concerned the small turbo isn't doing its job.

An accurate dyno would give me a good look at when my car is making power. Our cars are rated for around 425 tq at 1750 RPM, so I'd expect an accurate dyno to show around 370 tq at the wheels early in the rev range. If the chart shows the car building all the way to the mid 2K RPM range, I'll have a good idea that something is wrong and I can bring my un-modded car to the dealership for a warranty covered work-over.

2nd - based on the results, if my car is actually making full power all the way through and it's my butt dyno that's inaccurate, I'd like to slap on a JBD and have a baseline pull vs JBD pull. I'm a numbers nerd, and if I go JBD I don't want to it blind, I'll want hard numbers to look at (and I can share the results here of course).

So, for my application should I seek out a shop with a Mustang, dynojet, dynapack?

Also, anyone know of a good shop with a dyno in the north Orange County area? COBB has a good reputation in Huntington Beach, not sure what type of dyno they use though.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0