View Single Post
      09-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
I owned a Z4M Coupe and currently own an E46 M3. I have also test driven an E92 M3 DCT and a E93 M3 stick. The Z4M Coupe and the E46 M3 honestly feel quite similar in my opinion, of which I tracked the Z4M Coupe twice and the M3 none. The E46 M3 in my opinion feels more stable and confidence inspiring, but that may be because of a combination of the weight/longer wheelbase and the fact that sitting so far back in the Z4 was an unusual feeling for me. The Z4M Coupe felt more wild but not so much in a you can enjoy on the street sort of way for me at least with my limited skill and experience. For street I do prefer the E46 M3 just because of the more natural and familiar feeling I suppose.

The E92 M3 felt fast and stable, but the weight was definitely noticeable. The jump in weight and overall size felt much larger for me than the jump from the Z4M Coupe to the E46 M3. It just feels like such a large car in comparison in more than one way. It also didn't "feel" substantially faster in a straight line than either of the S54 engined cars likely due to the small torque advantage vs large weight gain and increase in driver insulation. I took the DCT E92 all the way through 1st and 2nd full throttle and while it sure felt great, it didn't feel much if any faster despite knowing it is.

These experiences with the E92 M3 while owing the Z4M Coupe lead me to take a pass and to end up with the perfect E46 M3 after months of searching: white on cinnamon, no sunroof, zcp, no nav, etc. I have no intention of selling the E46 whether I get a 1M or not since it is honestly my favorite of the 3 available today and mine was such a rare find.

I don't really know how to answer the poll since I've already bought 2 of them and would again for both, and am strongly considering the 1M. Therefore I abstained.

Hope that gave some insight into the differences between the 3!
Appreciate 1
Harroldv126.00