View Single Post
      09-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #54
M4_ZMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 i3S, '01 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Totally agree with this-the amount of hate this car gets is totally unjustified. I am a BMW purist and have been driving a 3 series for 22 years now. For all those people bashing this car, have you actually driven it? Have you driven or sat in the A3? I don't understand why nobody rags on the A3.

I test drove both back to back and it wasn't even close. A3 has been cost cut to death. Cheap, hard plastics everywhere and drives like a over boosted Jetta.

The 228i is solid, refined, planted and delivers a driving experience worthy of the BMW badge. Steering is super sharp. I'm not going to pretend that materials are 3 series level but almost all surfaces are soft touch plastic and we have the same high end digital dash and infotainment screen found on higher end BMWs. It feels like a slightly trimmed down 3/4 series whereas the A3 feels like a pure VW economy product.

I took this car up to 110 mph on the highway and i felt as safe/stable as i do in my 430i. Am i going to win any hardcore autocross races in this thing and get the fastest lap time? No. Is it a great little car to toss around in daily driving and zip through traffic and have some fun? Absolutely.

We should be happy BMW even bothered bringing this to the States in the era of oversized, heavy land boats that dominate the landscape.
Oh my goodness, so well said.
I have an M4 but This thing is the PERFECT daily runaround for a bimmer enthusiast (besides the i3s) I would love one of these in xDrive dgaf if it's Haldex based, it's not going to be your performance car. It is sharp and poised on the road and to me it looks better than the A3, A Class, CLA etc.

Here's my daily schleper build...yeah I chose the 17" rims. What potholes? And slicktop pano delete FTW. Skyscraper Grey/Magma Red
Attached Images

Appreciate 1