View Single Post
      09-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #122
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
VQ was outdated, and the platform itself is outdated in 2009, Nissan also never spent the kind of R&D required as they were too busy building the GTR to care at that time.

And you are not wrong, my non boosted NC Miata was far faster on the track than my 370Z, but then I never owned it long enough to find out consider how much I did not enjoy the drive, nor had it reliable enough to find how fast it can actually be

There is one thing they were amazing at, its the amount of people that gawk at mine when I had mine, and aside from wheels and it being lowered was all it had, that car got more looks from passerbys than any of my other cars.
The HO V6s seemed to have a very short life-span. The BMW I-6 had a much more successful run IMO, spanning decades. Most of the V6s being produced before those 240+hp V6s from major manufacturers were miserable around the 140-180hp level from a 3.0-4.0ish block, very low compression, just poor. Then came the high output V6s screaming up to around 350hp, except they had to of course rev up pretty high and the torque curve was pretty poor given the lack of displacement. Not bad engines at all, a huge improvement from before really, but they were so short lived because just a couple years later...mass turbos. And the turbos addressed the biggest issue, torque down low around 1500-5000rpm. Those V6s had to be driven at 9/10ths to be getting "the numbers" from them and experience the performance. Again, not bad engines, but for almost every real-world scenario, the turbo 4 and 6s were better, better acceleration response, more torque under the curve, etc.

Those V6s might do real well in a very lightweight chassis...but no one wants that these days, lots of people say they do, but they want all the creature comforts and a dedicated lightweight car is a very niche market, so economically, it just doesn't make much sense.