Thread: OEM Xenon lamps
View Single Post
      10-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
GunnerYank
Rep
Drives: 2014 3GT

That was kind of what I was fearing. Buying a different car is too far gone at this point - I've already been in this one for 3 weeks, and I'd lose too much on the trade to make it worth it. I knew it would be expensive to retrofit, but was really wondering if it would be worth it, even if they would not be adaptive. Sounds like, from your perspective, it would be a waste of cash. I did manage to negotiate a great price on this one, taking what they had on the lot, and I love the car in all other areas... just not the bland halogen headlamps. Oh well...

In any case, thanks for your time and thoughts in the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Failboat time. You can probably retrofit but it would seriously be cheaper to find a car with the right options or order one. Housings alone are $800 per side on the much higher volume F30 which has smaller less complicated housings. Bound to be be $1300 or so per side just for parts by the time you add bulbs ballasts and other sundries. Then figure 3-5 hours so $400+ of shop time to install and code the car and after all that they won't auto level or have any other adaptive features

Or you could go the high school kid route and buy a $200 xenon retrofit kit, code out the bulb error, and blind oncoming traffic with xenon bulbs in your halogen housings which were never designed for them ( this has also been known to melt stuff)

Or the "I don't mind cutting up my stock lights and have tons of free time" route and spend about $1000 cutting holes in your existing housings and installing projectors from an Acura or the like as some have done on older cars
Appreciate 0