Thread: Lifetime Fluids
View Single Post
      11-25-2005, 10:47 PM   #14
AZMike
Rep
Drives: -

I agree 100% with the other Mike as well. IMO, differentials and Manual Transmissions tend to produce significant amounts of metal shavings upon break-in, while ATs produce close to none...for example, many of the 3G Acura TL factory Manual Transmission Fluids I've seen contain a layer of metal shavings in the bottom of the fluid upon draining it out. OTOH, manufacturing debris nowdays is close to none...the metal generated is from break-in.

As I've posted in another thread...someone mentioned that the MTF-LT-03 is what the E90 uses. I do not know if the composition of MTF-LT-03 fluid, but I'll be checking with Redline and Royal Purple and will report back to you folks when I receive more info. However, if the MTF-LT-03 fluid replaces the MTF-LT-01 fluid, then I'd either use Royal Purple Synchromax, Specialty Formulations MTFGlide, or Redline D4 ATF as a replacement for the MTF-LT-01 fluid. Many people have had success with the Synchromax on the M5 boards, and the D4 ATF has been a popular replacement for the MTF-LT-01 fluid on E46 boards.

Although no one mentioned Autos in this thread, BMW uses two brands of Auto Trannies within the last few years...either a GM sourced unit or a ZF unit. (You can check by looking underneath your car) The ZF transmissions take Esso LT71141ATF, which you can buy from VW/Audi dealers or online from sites such as worldimpex for around $15/L...there are also a good number of reverse-engineered aftermarket ATFs for the Esso LT71141 app, such as Valvoline Durablend ATF, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Pennzoil/Quaker State Multi-Vehicle ATF, or Redline D4 ATF...my personal favorite out of those is Redline D4 ATF, as its a full-synthetic. If you have a GM transmission, the transmission either specs Texaco 7045E, 8072B, or DexIII. For example, the X3 shares the same GM transmission as the Cadillac SRX, and the Cadillac SRX specs DexIII-H (now DexVI) as lifetime fill. Thus, I'd have no worries about using a full syn DexIII-H ATF in place of the factory Texaco 7045E or 8072B...actually, Amsoil recommends their Universal ATF for Texaco 7045E apps.

Any 75w-90 should work for the rear differential...Mobil 1 is probably the easiest to obtain...I totally agree with the others in regards to the intervals...do an initial change before 10K then every 50K thereafter is more than enough, though you may want to do it more frequently on the Manual Transmission if it helps shift quality.

Theoretically, there has got to be a way of re-filling the transmission after a repair, so there must be a fill plug even if there isn't a drain plug. Thus, one can use a fluid extractor to extract the old fluid thru the fill plug, if its possible.

Last edited by AZMike; 11-26-2005 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0