View Single Post
      03-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #108
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Not knowing it was does not mean you can't tell the driving dynamics will be different. Torque steering, understeer, etc are very present in high torque FWD platform and it's not something that's desirable in a performance platform.
I think most consumers are never going to be in a driving situation where they will feel understeer / oversteer / etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
We are not talking about a quid pro quo here. BMW can still make a RWD, light, powerful, manual platform, AKA the 235i and in a sedan form and it would have sold a lot better than the couple-only 2-series.

Do you think the A3 and the CLA sell because they are AWD, lightweight, fun cars? Maybe yes, but primarily it's because they are sedans.

A 2-series sedan (1-Series) platform with a B58 and RWD platform will be killer.

At least we know we'll have an Xdrive version. That should be a fun car.
The A3 and CLA sell because they have the Audi and Mercedes badges on them and more importantly, are relatively cheap.

The fact of the matter is that a CLAR-based RWD platform with a 6-cyl engine is going to be more expensive (see M340i) than a FWD-based high-strung 4-pot (CLA 45 AMG).
Appreciate 1
Weiman156.00