View Single Post
      03-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLO-M2 View Post
Hello,
My (non BMW) dealer tells me that if I run my M2 on track I will need to replace the brake fluid after every track day.
=> WDYT ?
Thx,
There is some merit to that.

If you drive your car normally, meaning no overheating the brakes, the brake fluid in your car will last at least 1-2 years before flushing is needed. However, if you overheat your brakes, even just a tiny bit, air bubbles can form and your hydraulic system is now compressible(soft pedal) and you will need to bleed your system to get rid of the air.

OEM use rubber hose that is permeable by moisture, that process starts as soon as your car is filled with brake fluid at the factory. Your DOT 4 brake fluid may only have low 300s F(wet) of boiling temp instead of high 400s F(dry) when it is right out of a fresh bottle. That is the second reason to bleed or flush the system so you have absolutely the highest boiling temp possible every time you hit the track.

Aftermarket PTFE lined hoses are less permeable by moisture and the tightly woven stainless braid has less expansion over OEM rubber, two very good reasons to upgrade. Not the mention most high quality hoses also adds some sort of coating on top of the braid for added abrasion resistance.
Appreciate 0