View Single Post
      08-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #13
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

A stock 123d would be an almost direct comparison to your 1997 328i in performance, horsepower, weight, and 0-60 times. They are both right around 200 hp, 3150 lbs empty, and both take about 7 seconds to hit 60 mph. The 123d would just do it with 6 speeds, 2 doors, 17" wheels, and approx. 45 mpg from a dual turbo diesel.

I suspect that an M-sport package with 18" wheels and chipping the engine would give you better handling and better acceleration than your 328i while still giving you approx 45 mpg.

The Honda and Toyota hybrids have proven that there is a strong new market in the US for approx 45 mpg high fuel economy cars priced in the low to mid 20 thousand dollar range. (Real world gas mileage numbers for hybrids are coming in at about the same 45 mpg that a 123d gets.) They have sold over 1 million hybrids and sales are still growing. It isn't that far of a jump to the mid to upper 20k range to get a high fuel economy car with excellent performance with all the benefits of a BMW. I think there is a huge untapped market out there for the 123d. Unfortunately BMW is going to waste their time with diesels in all the wrong models instead. The 5-series and X-series SUV's aren't anywhere near that 1 million+ unit market niche where Honda and Toyota have ruled for the last 5 years.
Appreciate 0