08-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by npd2983 View Post
If the coupes get mileage numbers like this, I think a lot of environmentally conscience people will be able to have their "frosted mini-wheats." Fast on one side and economical on the other side. The MINI has some appeal in this regard, but slots in as an ultracompact car. I think the 128i & 135i will have a bit more appeal since they are larger than ultracompact. Tesla Roadster aside, if you look at fuel economy the MINI is currently the only sporty RWD car that posts fuel economy well into the 30's.

Regards

for economy numbers look at the 3 series and maybe a bit better for somewhat less weight. this is exactly why i am so excited about the 1 series. it offers the perfect size that allows for some practicality in seating, a fun drivetrain layout and small enough to be efficient. im also glad that the car entering this segment is a BMW as the dynamics are surely as superb as could be designed with respect to necessary compromises.
i would really like to drive a 123d for comparison before buying, because if its anything like i think it will be that thing would be a blast, and so so efficient..

that being said im sure the 1 series will be the last to receive a diesel powerplant. unfortunately it makes sense for automakers to get their heavy gas guzzlers to get a slightly better fuel economy (even though the people buying in this segment dont give a shit) rather than the people who really care to get a car with actually notable efficiency. although i guess thats not fair, if i had a family to tote around i would really be wanting a diesel X5. actually, no, no i wouldnt. thats why i like the 1 and not a roadsters :smile:
Appreciate 0