View Single Post
      08-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
npd2983
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 128i MT; '09 335d

Coupe Economy and MPG

I am new, so please correct/respond kindly.

Very excited about the 2008 128i coupe. I have been holding on to a '97 328i for 10 years after owning an 85 325e. My 97 is at the upper size limit of a car that I need. I really miss the spirit of the '85. So I've been waiting for about 5 years for a smaller BMW non-roadster to hit the market. I'm optimistic the new 1 series will be both fuel efficient and a bit more nimble and sporty than my 3.

I'm also keenly interested in the mileage of the car. I noticed in the European 128i hatchback brochure that it gets 6 L/100 KM = 39 MPG hwy (extra urban) and 12.2 or 12.3 L/100KM (manual and automatic transmissions respectively) = 19 MPG city (urban). Is it safe to assume the 128i coupe, even though it is a different shape should get similar mpg? I'm not sure if it is the same engine.

According to another site, the 135i will get 30.7 MPG combined. Although the European 130i will have no stateside counterpart, it rates 34.0 MPG combined. I've noticed that if you compare engines within a BMW "series" there is usually not a large MPG difference. Sometimes the larger engine gets better MPG. Go figure...

I should have bookmarked the sites where I noted this information. The 128i hatchback numbers are definitely official, the others seemed to be confident statements given the figures to the 10ths decimal place, not estimates. Maybe we just have to wait for the official specs?

If the coupes get mileage numbers like this, I think a lot of environmentally conscience people will be able to have their "frosted mini-wheats." Fast on one side and economical on the other side. The MINI has some appeal in this regard, but slots in as an ultracompact car. I think the 128i & 135i will have a bit more appeal since they are larger than ultracompact. Tesla Roadster aside, if you look at fuel economy the MINI is currently the only sporty RWD car that posts fuel economy well into the 30's.

Regards
Appreciate 0