View Single Post
      08-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #18
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
I'm currently in an '11 E90 M3 that I track 3-4 times a year. It's beginning to get up there in miles and my CPO wrap is about to expire so considering moving to a 340i for a daily driver and occasional track toy. I thought about a new M3/F80, but having driven a couple, they are just too much for a daily driver...perhaps I'm just getting old and want something a little more softly sprung

So my question is - and I know 340's are so new to the market that maybe there's not a lot of data out there yet - how do they hold up on track? I'm looking for advanced to instructor level experiences with them on track (I instruct with BMWCCA and Chin) so want to see if there are overheating issues, brake fade issues or anything else I should be aware of.

My current car goes into limp mode here at COTA after about 5-6 hard laps due to overheating so looking to avoid that issue. I instructed a new F80 at the Trifecta and it didn't even get up over 250 so I know the new M3 has adequate cooling, hoping the 340i does, too!

Car I'm looking at has track package, drivers assit pack and navi, so stripped down pretty well...

Any insights will be much appreciated!

PS as an aside, what pads are people running with the M-Sport brakes on the 340? Currently run DTC-70's and Castrol SRF on the M3, what have people used on this platform?
I can't really give an insight on the cooling system of the 340i, but if you have the msport, and in conjunction with the air to water cooling that's new, I don't think you'll have problems with cooling.

I track my 335i occasionally and doing about more than 10+ laps around a 25-30C day track, I never overheated.
Appreciate 0