05-14-2017, 12:39 AM   #18
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadz View Post
Just buy the 6MT....in the end you'll get bored with the DCT and find yourself driving almost exclusively in auto mode anyway. As far as F1 goes, those cars have a completely different steering ratio and on a road car the f'n paddles end up being in the wrong place many times so now your dancing with the faux shifter....it all gets too contrived in my mind whether it's faster or not, who cares unless your chasing lap times or stuck in traffic. That seems to be the deciding crux factor.
To state that someone you've never met will inevitably have the same opinions as yours is kind of arrogant, doncha think? Funny how I've put 9000 miles on mine in just over a year, and I still almost never use automatic mode. And I'm still waiting to get bored. I drove nothing but manuals for almost 40 years. My race car still has a manual. I like the DCT. By objective measures (e.g. performance, gas mileage) it works better, and popping up and down through the gears with it still makes me giggle.

These are not lithe sports cars like Miatas or even E30s. These are state-of-the-art, turbo charged, e-diff equipped, 3400 lb cars, with kind of numb electric steering. If you want pretend it's something other than that, and get the manual to satisfy some atavistic sports-car-purity fetish, go ahead. And try to ignore the irony of defending a manual which does the most difficult task (rev matching) for you. But I think the DCT is right in tune with the modern, high-tech theme of the M2. You don't agree, but as The Dude says, that's like, just your opinion, man. Others differ from you (hunt down the February Roundel and read the "Safety Third" column - the guy Alex interviews happens to be our chief instructor, and a seriously good driver).

Oh yeah, if you don't shuffle steer, the paddle mounted shifters are placed perfectly. If you get flummoxed, you can always hit the stick instead.

So, to the original poster, it's entirely up to you, and it's not an easy choice. If I had to do it again, I'd still get the DCT. I can understand getting the manual, 'cause shifting can be fun, but don't feel pressured because some self-appointed sports-car fundamentalists aggrandize themselves 'cause they mastered a skill that pretty much everyone used to take for granted.
Appreciate 13
Robin_NL8721.50
GimmeanM1448.50
Ramos862.50
koastal375.50
Ian ///M491.00
ZPrime611.50
bollinm25.00
ewohar21.50
F87EVO4036.00