View Single Post
      02-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitycups View Post
I know that this has been beaten to death. Beaten like a dead horse. With a stick.

Just wanted to confirm what the general consensus is.

Extended WARRANTY has a case for being worth it correct? Also, do you guys recommend I get gold or platinum. I do have navi in my vehicle but is the cd player/navi system/audio something that fails often in a BMW? If so, maybe its worth spending the 600 more?

The other more concerning question is, is there ANY WAY a person can get there money's worth with a extended maintenance plan. The rotors I understand can be a expensive service but with all the free oil chances, filters, etc etc factored in the plan, does it approach the 1850 they're trying to charge me?
Getting the extended warranty is a requirement when buying any BMW. It's going to break. Just do a search for my user name and you'll see all of the repairs that I've documented for other users so they have tips for things to be on the look out for. My extended warranty has paid for itself and then some. Keep in mind that warranty brokers are banking that your warranty runs out/expires on time and not mileage. Most people never terminate their extended warranty by hitting the mileage. Most people terminate their extended warranty based on time. Even with the miles I drive, I still terminated based on time. My miles were just a few thousand short of the allotted so I made out ok with my terms. The very last service was some repair to my A/C unit which require taking out the dash board and about a week at the dealer and I'd say that service alone covered the extended warranty.

As far as extended service, this really only makes sense if you plan on driving your car a lot. Otherwise, based on BMW's no-service/nothing-done-to-your-car free maintenance plan, you won't get your money's worth. Many of the services that would be covered under the maintenance plan, would only come into play if you drive your car enough so to be concerned with replacing rotors might be a non-issue if you don't put many miles on your car. Replacing spark plugs might also not come into play. The other stuff that might be replaced more frequently doesn't necessarily need you to hedge your bet with a ext maintenance plan paid up front. If you can negotiate a great price, then go for it. It can also be seen as a peace of mind thing. If not, you might be better off passing.