View Single Post
      07-07-2015, 12:40 AM   #15
semclane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i - Dinan Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
well then you are screwed... it's not the tire's fault the car come with so little camber.....

Also how is a sway bar legal but not an LCA ?
Rules don't always "make sense". If you want to "compete" you have to abide by the rules. If you aren't going to compete but just want to drive for your enjoyment, you still I'll have to follow some rules, associated with the event or safety. SCCA rules allow you to modify one sway bar in the Street classes (used to be only the front sway bar was in play but now it is either). Same sort of thing for camber - Street classes only allow adjustments within the range available from the factory with the exception of using "crash bolts" if they are permitted by the manufacturer in repairing crash damage. If you want to go beyond that your car moves up to at least Street Prepared although the specific SP class is yet to be determined.

If you don't like the organizations rules, you can lobby for a change, or find another club to run with. For instance a single marque club that accepts other marques but doesn't classify them.

In my area the SCCA region has a couple of local classes like "Open Street Prepared" where the only restriction is that the car has to at some point has to have been licensed, and a Vintage B Street Prepared class for older Corvettes that are no longer compliant with the SCCA national rules. This region also allows people to run as Fun Runs where no class specific rules apply.

The local American Autocross Series has structured classes for Americav V8 cars but let's anyone else run in an "X" class as do the local BMW, Porsche, and Lotus clubs. You can join their clubs even if you don't own the proper brand of car and autocross with them.

Personally, I still have a 1999 Miata that I have been auto crossing for the past 12 years, and trade off auto crossing that car or my M235i as the mood strikes me. When I run the M235i with the SCCA I can't run in F Street because of the square wheel/tire configuration. When I run the Miata with the BMWCCA I run in their "X" class.
Appreciate 1