View Single Post
      04-01-2017, 02:07 AM   #21
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Wow! Lots of doom-mongers out there when it comes to sunroofs!

I'm pretty sure that a glass roof can't be that much more dangerous than having front, side a rear windows on a car. If we start making decisions based on very rare freak occurrences then you may as well stay in bed.

I'm sure it was Grant_7 who said that cars with a sunroof were actually more structurally rigid than cars without. Hopefully he can clarify that for us...
Having seen the effects of failure, it naturally makes me more aware of the small risk. That's just how the brain works. I pretty much know that tyres below, say, 2.5 or 3mm will be fine 99.99% of the time, but that doesn't stop me changing them before they get to the legal limit.

Life's about understanding and balancing risks isn't it? Is it enough to make us sell my wife's car? Nope. Would it stop me buying another car with a pano roof? Probably not. Does it make me think "I'll close that blind 50% of the time to halve the very small risk" - seemingly so.

Is it a consideration that's worth thinking about? Definitely. Some manufacturers laminate the pano roof, which pretty much takes away the concern.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0