04-29-2019, 01:25 AM   #9
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Regarding the limited slip differentials...

I have had 5 BMWs. Two E30s, one E36, and two F20s. I really didn't like how they handled without an LSD, so I retrofitted one in the three first cars. On the pre LCI F20 116i, I was not completely pleased with the fake LSD system it had from the factory, but it was just good enough to stop me from doing modifications. I could feel exactly when it kicked in and started braking the inside wheel. With more power, I would not have been pleased with it.

However, on the F20 LCI 118i I can no longer tell that the car does not have an LSD. Even on ice tracks, the car has awesome traction and smooth transitions. Seems like they have changed the implementation somehow. Has anyone else noticed?
That's the benefit of buying an LCI, if there are quick wins in software then manufacturers will usually improve where cost effective.

Given that you have retrofitted LSD three times, it sounds like you need to own an M-car to scratch the itch of driving a car with a factory fitted LSD.

The ones in the M-cars are significantly more sophisticated than what was available to the E30 and E38. The M-diff use numerous input including steering, individual wheel speed torque and yaw rate.

Regarding the M140i. The omission of an LSD isn't the only barrier to conquering its power but so is the suspension. Thus some M140i owners end up upgrading to an M2 or M4. After market upgrade options include includes upgraded suspension and an LSD which which together transform the M140i into a sports car.

It's still an amazing car if you don't do the upgrades. Currently the finance offers £360 down and £360 per month. There's simply no other car that comes close in offering the same amount of smiles and grins per money spent.

Production ends in June/July but stock will still be available through to September.