02-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post
Dackel, I havn't seen them E10 on base here. How are they marking it on the pumps out your way? I'd not trust AAFES to make this a broad statement nor mark anything if they could get away with not having to. Not that I use low octane in my cars but was just wondering.

AAFES labels the ethanol gas as: E10 Super. Just as the German gas stations do off post (see Esso photos above). I think this must be some sort of German law. Every gas station in Germany will have switched over to E10 by the end of this month.

E10 Super replaces regular unleaded gas, but has a higher octane of 95 - the same as Super grade gas. Hence, the confusing new name of: E10 Super.

There are three grades of fuel (Benzin) sold in Germany now.

E10 Super (10% ethanol) 95 octane
Super (up to 5% ethanol now) 95 octane
SuperPlus (NO Ethanol!) and 98 octane.

I think it would be wise to run only SuperPlus, given our HPFP problems. Besides... I always run the highest octane fuel I can buy/find. Sometimes I even go to Shell for V-Max 100 octane or to Aral for Ultimate 102 octane unleaded fuel.

I did notice that the Germans are now paying more for their fuel. This doesn't effect us Americans - bc we pay thru the Esso card and pay US based fuel prices. We still pay three different prices for all three fuel grades (E10, Super and SuperPlus + Diesel)

But now for the Germs - the E10 is their cheapest choice (at the old super fuel price too! They raised there fuel prices! lol) and now, Super and SuperPlus are the SAME (higher) price! IF I was a German and paying the same price for Super vs SuperPlus... I would pump SuperPlus!!! Thats a no brainer. Then you start to conside the damage that ethanol gas may cause to your fuel injection system - and you have to be down right stupid not to pump SuperPlus fuel!

Dackel
Appreciate 0