View Single Post
      02-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Did it with a Lexus SC400 back when I used to drink the K&N kool-aid , and refuse to believe the obvious. They're great racing filters, but they don't belong on an engine you want to get at least 100K miles out of IMO.

And the dirty air goes straight to the pistons thru the combustion chamber. It gets to the oil filter after that. Using a 'wet' filter is not going to grenade your engine, but you need to understand the obvious: bigger holes mean more air, but also more dirt; no free lunch here. The issue is if your engine needs the extra air, and the answer is no at lower rpm, where you have to drive most of the time. So the debate becomes IF you get a few more ponies at redline, is it worth it having at the expense of ingesting more dirt? Only you can answer that question. Do your research to decide what you want. But if anybody tells you a wet filter filters the same as a paper one, do the simple test I told you and you'll know for sure. Or just read the myriad independent tests done on the subject. Just like changing oil at 15K miles rather than 7.5K (or whatever) is not going to have an immediate impact on your engine, same thing with air filters.

You'll never going to have a consensus on boards like these, so just use them as opinions, including mine. Do YOUR research and come to your own conclusions. Signing off. Good luck.
Did you have engine failure due to oil contaminants? I completely see your point and would never argue the efficacy of a paper filter vs oiled cotton. I also understand the point of your test, but.....in most geographic regions, do you think that the level of filtration present in a paper element is actually needed?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0