11-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #16
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
When I was in high school, I was pretty cool for having stock 16'' rims on my 2004 WRX. Most compact sedans were running 15'' tires or less. If you were really high performance, you had 17'' rims.

I feel like we are getting a little carried away these days on street cars. The 18 inch staggered wheels on my F30 ride well enough. I actually hated the 225/40R 18's all around on my last car that did not have adjustable suspension (MK7 GTI). It was harsh and in that situation, 17 inch would be the sweet spot for comfort, performance and fuel economy.

With these cars, I feel like anything over 18'' is getting a little carried away on a street car. To each their own though!
I think people going for 19" and 20" is mostly for aesthetics, I personally prefer 18 over 19 or 20, I like the look of thicker sidewalls on 18s, plus it is lighter and provides better ride comfort and rim protection due to thicker sidewalls, also the 18" tires are much cheaper. However some people like thinner sidewalls and bigger rims, to each their own, but performance wise, same style rim in 18 should be better than 19 or 20.
Appreciate 0