Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearmysix View Post
So I just sold my 335d. I really miss it. Have a 328d now. 42.2k MSRP and a 35.5k buying price made it a good buy for me. My 335d had 80k miles on it and I wanted to get into something less expensive (monthly payment, upcoming maintenance, etc).

As far as engines: The 335d is more powerful and wonderful in every way (sound, torque, FUNNNN!!). I agree that a 8-speed tranny in the 335d would make it the perfect car.

MPG: It's not just a 7mpg difference. Its more like a 12-15mpg difference. When I was driving the I-5 85mph I was getting 36mpg with the 335d. Now I am easily getting 49mpg. When in town I would get around 24mpg with the 335d, now I'm consistently in the mid-upper 30s without trying.

Ride: 328d is much softer, quieter, and leisurely.

Steering: I can steer the 328d with my pinky finger - but it can still be sporty and not that bad. I felt like steering the 335d was a workout - although very precise. My father once drove it and came back to tell me he thought the power steering was broken - HA.

Overall I feel like I upgraded my car but downgraded my fun. Opening up the 335d was such a thrill.

Going to get a 535d one day..
Nice comparison. I want to keep my 335d for a while longer, but from what I've read here it's just a ticking time bomb of carbon buildup, even though it's (knock on wood trim) been the most reliable car I've owned so far.
43k miles and the only issue has been the squealing AC belt (and EGR recall).

Rather than get the extended warranty, I'll probably just keep it and then if/when CBU becomes an issue then that's a good time to trade it in.

I'd love to see how an A6 TDI compares.
CBU will not cost you a whole lot if you go the indy route. You're looking at $2000 going the dealer route.
Appreciate 0