View Single Post
      07-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I don't disagree and have never been one to just acquiesce to premium product pricing for essentially the same quality of product. I think you are on to something. Maybe it is worth a shot taking my car to MBS to fabricate a "catless" downpipe and use these:

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

That should solve the CEL issue. Then put an off the shelf 100 cell racing catalytic converter down stream to deal with the environmental/smell issues. There seems to be plenty of room in the front pipes coming down from the down pipes. The biggest problem with aftermarket catalytic converters is that they are not as resistant to the heat generated from turbo cars as the OEM ones. Time and again they melt the internals and you need to replace them more frequently than OEM. If you move the race cats downstream, they aren't subjected to as much intense heat and may last longer.
Good call - and nice find on these mini cats - that would def work. Def like the idea of putting in the 100 cell on the straight section far from the motor.

I had a brief interaction with MBS on this - they would need a set of OEM DPs to work off of - might be worth buying a used set - maybe from a board member who has already swapped theirs - and sending them to MBS.

We could probably get a group going to sweeten the deal for them (and us).

BTW - he said they wouldn't be able to use the mandrel bender to make these - not enough straight section between the bends. They'd have to weld - which is fine - MBS is the best around here - I trust they know how to weld.
Appreciate 0