View Single Post
      09-12-2018, 12:22 AM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I think I’ll keep with my plans to stay out of the abs as much as possible, but let it do its thing if I trip it.

I’m still struggling to understand the physics of how in ideal situations abs can stop you faster, but maybe that’s just it there’s no such thing as ideal on the track as many have mentioned conditions are constantly changing.
As you gain track experience you will develop a style that works for you. None of us are going to replace Lewis Hamilton so we generally are not doing laps in HPDE at 10/10ths . The instructors that taught me said to use ABS as an indication that you are braking hard enough because one thing people struggle with it understanding the real ability of the car to brake. That can only be determined when your reaching the limits. Those instructors are far more capable than me and they are driving someone else's cars that have a team dedicated to maintaining them so their point of living in ABS under braking is way of telling a student you cannot brake too hard in one of these modern cars.

Your original question was about if once ABS kicks in if you should release and re-brake I believe. That would increase your braking distance and confuse the ABS system. I drive my track days at about 8/10ths I would say and us Cup 2 tires which offer tremendous grip, combined with dedicated track pads it would take a ton to get to the point where ABS would kick in but it still does occasionally and when it does I allow it to do what it does best. On the regular performance tires of course ABS will kick in far more often at the pace I drive on track.
Appreciate 0