Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
How can they compete with the new A3 and CLA? Did they hire kia and hyundai designers to do this?
I wish. Have you seen recent Kias?
They are awesome. Absolutely great looking and from what I'm hearing, fun to drive too!
Oh sure Kias. The most loved and overhyped cars in the Internet.
Not sure about that but to see your point about the hype. That said, they have come a LONG way.
Disposable cars whose primary customer base are mostly sub-prime borrowers. People that can't possibly get a can of Coke financed flock to those brands and the experience that comes with it.
Sure. They're disposable and a big part of that is their perception of being generic, at least their previous models. Then again, this new BMW fits that perception very well. This is not BMWs finest effort... and their reliability is not helping. Now, I love BMWs but there's no escaping their current way of doing business and how their reliability isn't what it once was. Hell, 50-77% of their vehicles are leased depending on the source/survey. That could be due to being cheaper upfront and monthly, reliability (how often have you heard that BMWs are cars to be leased, not bought), or just personal preference of the buyer.

Look, my point isn't that BMWs are bad but that Kia/Hyundai have learned fast and have taken steps to emulate the German brands very well. Add that to a better reliability perception, and you have a growing problem. BMW is falling asleep at the wheel.
I see your points and agree with most of them.

However, BMW is making what the market wants and to that end they are doing quite well for themselves. Would this be my default choice, no but it has its place and helps to pay the bills to keep the operation going and found the development of the BMWs you and I are more willing to buy.

To me the reliability of E-Chassis BMW products from the mid to late 1990s until the early 2010s was in a definite state of decay. I believe newer products are turning the corner for the better but time will tell.

Now on the subject of Korean cars... They are built to a price point and corners are cut where the customer's eyes can't see or the fingertips can't feel/reach. And this includes Genesis. There is no free lunch.You simply get what you pay for. If you like their value proposition, be my guest. You'll see me driving a Toyoduh or Honduh before you catch me in a Hyundai or Kia product. Just not for me.

They poached Ze Germans because on their own they can't build a decent car if their lives depended on it. They are just facsimiles of German cars, no originality in my book.
Korean and Japanese cars are built to compete in their segment, and some do an excellent job. They don't compete with BMW. And it's great they have poached designers from the Germans, which bodes well for every car buyer.

BMW with the 2GC has delivered an ugly duckling, and most buyers will be badge whores who dint really care about the car, but the brand.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00